This Date in CHVFD History

share & save


Three Firefighters Injured in Blaze Started by A Space Heater

Three firefighters were injured battling a blaze that destroyed a building that was once used as a place to hold town hall meetings. At the time of the fire the building housed an electric repair shop, operated by Capitol Heights Volunteer Fire Department member Walter Oliver. Walter and his new bride, Elizabeth, lived in an upstairs apartment on the second floor. The building was totally destroyed. One firefighter from Capitol Heights suffered from smoke inhalation, one firefighter from Greater Capitol Heights suffered a sprained wrist after falling from a 10 foot ladder and one firefighter from Boulevard Heights suffered from cuts to his arm and head after being hit with falling timbers.

The Washington Post reports that John Day, on duty at the fire station, awoke to the crackling sound of something burning near the fire station. Walter Oliver arrived soon after at the fire station to sound the alarm.

Units from Capitol Heights, Greater Capitol heights, Boulevard Heights, Bradbury Heights, Seat Pleasant, Hyattsville, Mount Rainier and Washington, DC responded to this fire. Chief W.H. Wells directed the firefighting effort. The fire was reported to have been caused by an electric space heater.